How to become a Preschool Teacher in Massachusetts - post

How to become a Preschool Teacher in Massachusetts

So you are interested in becoming a preschool teacher in Massachusetts but you are not sure what is required? We have taken the guesswork out of it for you!

Child Care in Massachusetts is governed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care or the EEC. Upon entering the field of childcare, providers are required to complete several pre-service trainings. 

All early education and care providers and educators need to take:

  • First Aid and CPR
  • Training on reporting suspected child abuse or neglect for mandated reporters
  • EEC Essentials training:
    Nutrition and choking prevention training for child care
    Training on safe sleep practices for infants 
    Transportation safety training for child care
    Medication administration training and information for child care 

The StrongStart Online Professional Development System (PDS) is a web-based system for early educators that provides resources for their career growth. The PDS has a learning management system that houses the "EEC Essentials" training.

So those are the basics, but you are looking to become a Preschool Teacher! In order to do that there is some additional coursework that is needed, specifically a course in Child Growth and Development. For those who want to go a step further and become a Lead Preschool Teacher, you will need to also complete coursework in early childhood curriculum, program planning, or behavior management, and 6 additional credits in early childhood education.

You may be asking, but what if I move to another state? Will my coursework transfer? Will my qualifications transfer? I may want to obtain my Associates Degree or Bachelor's Degree in the future, will these courses apply to those degrees? The answer to all of these questions is a huge MAYBE. There is really no guarantee that any of that course work will be transferable. However, there is a way you can become qualified as a Lead Preschool Teacher and guarantee that all of your coursework will transfer to any state and can be applied towards a college degree! The Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential™ is the most widely recognized credential in early childhood education and is the best first step on the path of career advancement. Best of all, it fulfills the coursework requirements for the EEC Professional Qualifications Certification in Massachusetts to become both a Preschool Teacher and a Lead Preschool Teacher. The CDA is nationally recognized and will seamlessly translate to any state. Additionally, as the CDA awards CEU’s, colleges and universities will allow students to convert CEU’s into college credit. 

Once you have completed your CDA you will need to complete annual professional development course work as a requirement for all providers in the state of Massachusetts. Depending on hours worked, and the type of education setting, between 5-20 hours of professional development is required annually. Keeping in mind that ⅓ of that needs to address diverse learners.

So you may be wondering where you can take all of this training? H&H Child Care Training Center has all the training you need to complete your CDA and annual training for Massachusetts providers. There are hundreds of online training courses available and more are added each week. H&H is here to help you achieve your goals of becoming a highly qualified child care provider in Massachusetts. 

Need help? Call us at 240-261-1463
Call us