Within 6 months of submitting your application:
- Prepare your CDA professional portfolio. This is a collection of reference materials related to your work. You’ll find detailed preparation instructions in the purple Home Visitor edition of the CDA® Competency Standards book. Information collection includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Family questionnaires
- Parent observation permission forms
- CDA Assessor Recommendation
- Engage a CDA Professional Development (PD) Specialist™ to conduct your CDA Verification Visit® and confirm the availability of the Verification visit. Verification visit requests are made through the CDA Council website through YourCouncil. Your PD Specialist will review your professional portfolio, observe you working with the children, complete a reflective dialogue with you, and submit score recommendations to the Council.
- To access the Find-a-PD Specialist Tool, log on to YourCouncil using your email address and password, and click on the PDS button located on the left side menu. You are required to have a YourCouncil account prior to finding a PD specialist.
Submit your application via YourCouncil and process the $425 application fee. If you are completing the paper version of the application, use and submit the form provided in the purple Home Visitor edition of the CDA® Competency Standards book with the $500 assessment fee. Please keep in mind that both application fees are non-refundable. Click here to find out how to submit the application in languages other than English.
Once the application is submitted, a notification will arrive alerting you to schedule the Verification Visit with a PD specialist you have previously identified. During the Verification Visit, the PD specialist will:
- Review the Professional Portfolio you have prepared;
- Observe your leading home visit with one family; and
- Engage in a dialogue with you to discuss areas of strength and growth.
The steps in the Verification process are documented in the application packet. Any questions regarding for the final assessment should be directed toward the CDA Council. You can call the toll-free hotline at 1(800)424-4310 or (202)265-9090 Mondays through Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.
Once the Verification Visit is complete, the PD specialist will electronically enter in your results. The Council will review the assessment results before making a final decision. Applicants are awarded their official Child Development Associate® credential through postal mail. If the application is denied, the Council will offer recommendations on where to improve and the next steps to take to earn the credential.
ChildCareEd offers the CDA Home Visitor Credential.